Battle of the Social Networks

We all know social media rules the Internet. Just take a glance in any public place and you will see the same scene: people constantly on their phones or laptops, either updating or checking their social media websites. In the midst of this networking chaos, there is one question:  is Twitter replacing Facebook as people’s main social media outlet? That question sparks opinions and arguments from those who devote themselves to one social network and those who enjoy both. Almost everyone with a laptop or a phone has a Twitter account or a Facebook page. But recently Twitter seems to be more popular, especially in high schools and on college campuses. Facebook, however, has a loyal group of users in parents and adults. So where the does the future of social media lie—Facebook or Twitter?

Twitter keeps things simple, only allowing short updates consisting of 140 characters. It is a website that is fueled by what is happening now, whether it is of high importance or extreme frivolity. When asked about her preference on Facebook and Twitter, freshman Anjali Shah said, “I prefer Twitter because for me it is easier to see what my friends are up to as well as seeing what celebrities and actors are doing as well. I also like how there are different things trending every day because it shows what people are buzzing about.” The practicality of Twitter also plays a big part on our campus. Many clubs and athletic organizations at Berkeley also have active Twitter accounts, which allow students to be constantly updated on current events.

On the other hand, Facebook allows anyone to upload a story, a timeline of their life, organization or business. As sophomore Nick Diaco said, “The sheer amount of abilities of group chats and group events, messages, longer status updates, pictures and the ability to look into someone’s life makes Facebook unrivaled.” Facebook gives a broad look over the course of a person’s life. It also gives users many options of interacting with friends, making Facebook much more versatile than Twitter.

However amongst Berkeley students, Facebook seems to be declining in popularity. There are many factors that could cause this change in demographics. One major speculation is that more adults, namely parents, are joining Facebook, causing many younger people to become more inclined to use different social networks. Privacy settings have also caused issues. While Facebook may offer more options and versatility with its settings, these “guaranteed” securities are not always completely accurate, since Facebook uses a person’s private actions to tailor advertisements to their interests. On the other hand, Twitter does not require much personal information.

In the fight between Twitter and Facebook, both sides have their diehard fans; amongst teenagers and twenty-somethings, however, Twitter would win. Young people are attracted to its simplicity and straightforwardness, as Berkeley tweeters can attest.