The student voice of Berkeley Preparatory School

The Fanfare

The Fanfare

The Fanfare

Review: Into the Minds of Cults

“Midsommar”, 2019 directed by Ari Aster

Have you ever heard a true crime story and thought, “How are they stupid enough to get themselves in that situation? That could never be me.”? If so, you’re like most people when they hear about a cult.

However, if you’re anything like Dani Ardor–young, in a manipulative relationship, and overcome by grief, finding yourself in a cult in rural Sweden doesn’t prove to be too difficult.

The movie carefully follows every action that leads a young couple to be taken into the movie. The camera angles and special effects put you into the shoes, albeit traditional Swedish cult shoes, of Dani and Christian. From the shot taken directly at eye level of our protagonists to the storyline getting muddy and confusing after they are forced to

take psychedelics, and special effects that make flowers speak and everything spin after they drink hallucinogenic tea.

The storyline is dark and twisted, as are the terrifying rituals of the cult, juxtaposed with the background of summer nights, green hills, beautiful dinner parties, and an abundance of vividly colored flowers.

Every time I watch this film, I notice another piece of the deeply complex story. From the woven blanket at the very beginning of the movie that foreshadows all of the horror that is to come, to the outline of Dani’s sister’s face in the grass of the landscape, not a single detail in the production was overlooked.

Every expertly executed piece of the film leaves the viewer feeling just as vulnerable and confused as Dani, as she is swept into the traditions and reasoning of the cult. This unique perspective, especially the satisfying full-circle ending, leaves you wondering, “Could I accidentally join a cult too?”