The Fanfare

• December 11Happy holidays!

• December 11Have a great break!

• December 11Today in history: In 1951, Joe DiMaggio announces his retirement from baseball

Filed under A&E

Singing on a High Note

Berkeley’s very own Mello Divas flew to Dayton, Ohio, to star in a nationally-ranked a cappella showcase. Out of the 112 groups that sent audition tapes, the Mello Divas and nine other groups were chosen to perform. Dayton’s Kettering A Cappella Festival welcomed the Divas, and they sure left a lasting impression on the a cappella world. Rocking their black leather jackets and red shoes, the girls sang their set of “Creep” by Radiohead (Soloist: Senior Grace Roman) and their unique arrangement of “Queen Bee” by Barbra Streisand (Soloist: Sophomore Addison Aloian). With a successful showcase of their singing talent and their sassy choreography, the Divas earned a standing ovation from the crowd. Furthermore, they sang for various a cappella groups and fanatics, and the Divas also got to work with some of the best groups there.

Here the Mello Divas can be seen at the National Kettering A Cappella Workshop.

Anjali Shah

On Saturday morning, they were honored to have  a workshop with vocal percussionist Robert Steighner, whose pop group, the Exchange, was runner-up on NBC’s The Sing Off. After working with the girls on their visual performance skills, Robert complimented them for being a “strong group of singers who act like a family.”  Additionally, the Divas performed at the University of Dayton their director’s (Jacki Schneider) alma mater. Later that afternoon, they visited Acaville Radio Station where they conducted an interview and recorded their set and arrangements of “Rather Be” by Clean Bandit (Soloist: Junior Anjali Shah) and “Free and Wild” (Soloist and Composer: Grace Roman). The  Divas received much positive feedback that weekend, and they believe that this showcase made the group’s bond even tighter than before.  

Once the girls arrived home, they were ecstatic to find out that once again they will  be competing in the International Championship of High School A Cappella (ICHSA) regional competition. Mark your calendars for February 13th, and make sure to come on the fan bus to see the girls own the stage at Winterpark High School this year. We could not be more proud of the girls! The Divas want to thank both Schneider and the Berkeley Bucs for being “aca-awesome.”

Anjali Shah, Section Editor

Anjali, who is currently a senior, joins Fanfare for her second year and is excited to start on the job. In addition to being a editor for Fanfare, she...