6 Ways to Start the Year Off Right

Want to begin the 2015-2016 school year with a bang? Try using these six tips!

1. Try New Things

With a new year come new opportunities, and now is the time to take advantage of them! Whether this means taking a Robotics class, joining Spanish club, entering the swim team or meeting new people, fall is the perfect time to start exploring your interests. Expanding your horizons will make high school more fun, and who knows, it could even draw out a new passion. Whether you’re an incoming freshman or a lifer, it’s never too late to take advantage of all of the diverse opportunities offered in the Upper Division.

Freshmen make new friends at the Freshman Retreat!
Alex Livingstone
  1. Ask for Help

Do you need help navigating through the Gries Center? Are you trying to find the right methods to study for APs? Or are you having trouble with math? Have no fear! All you need to do is ask for help. If you get lost in the Gries, for example, you can ask any teacher or student you see nearby, or you could even consult a Berkeley Guide. Teachers and students are also available for help with academics, and make sure to check out the Writing Center, Science Tutors or Math Lab. Plus, these student tutors can also lend great advice on study methods for specific classes. If you are interested in visiting any of these tutors, the Writing Center is open during each block, science tutors are available each lunch and the Math Lab is staffed Monday through Thursday during the third and fourth blocks.

1. Come Prepared

Obvious, yet essential advice. Make sure you have pens, pencils, paper, binders and books. If you tend to forget important items such as these, packing the night before might work for you. However, supplies are also available at the bookstore located in the Aye Arboretum. Additionally, you should come prepared for class by completing homework on time. You can also use your time wisely during free periods, and during lunch if need be. Such preparation is imperative to succeeding in class and staying on a teacher’s good side.

Junior Alec Navori uses his time wisely as he completes his AP Calculus homework.
Alex Livingstone
  1. Stay Organized

Organization will help any Berkeley student who wants to stay prepared for class. You should organize your locker, binders and time in ways that suit you best. Furthermore, I would suggest using a planner as it is a place for you to list all assignments, duties and responsibilities. Keeping a planner makes it much easier to remember important tasks, resulting in students who fulfill their obligations, come to class prepared and show teachers that they are dedicated. You can purchase a Berkeley planner at the bookstore and you can also visit Dr. Cenira Tavarez for more organizational and study tips.

1. Be Optimistic

Staying optimistic is the key to doing well at Berkeley. For example, instead of feeling stumped by difficult classes, such as Honors Geometry, try keeping an open mind. Maybe the class will get easier, or maybe there is just one topic confusing you. Try staying optimistic and telling yourself that you can work through it, or that the teacher can help you. Senior Jack Goldfield frequently meets with teachers and says that their “upbeat attitude and readiness to share their knowledge inspire [him] to do well in class and to share his thoughts with them.” Plus, at Berkeley there is  always something to look forward to – whether that’s a football game, an all-school convocation, an advisory gathering or even a lunch break.

These Microbiology students are excited as they observe bacterial organisms and learn to use agar plates – all in the first week!
Carmen Raterman
  1. Live in the Moment

Despite the stressful nature of high school, remember to enjoy every moment of it.  High school flies by, so try taking time out to see a movie with your family or attend a football game with your friends. Cherish your interactions with peers and teachers, and enjoy your classroom experiences. So, begin living in the moment this year, because the little things are what make great impacts on our high school experiences.

Students cheer for the Berkeley Buccaneers at the football game on August 28, 2015.
Ashley Dutton