“Offerings of Love” Brings Berkeley Students Together With Exceptional Artists

On January 30, Berkeley’s Pautler Gallery showcased over fifty works of art by more than forty students from the Willis Peters Exceptional Center in Dover, Florida, a school for mentally and physically disabled students. In its seventh year, the “Offerings of Love” art show was attended by its young artists, their families, Berkeley students and faculty, and many members of the community.

The dreary weather could not stop the joy and warmth that radiated from inside the gallery. Students, parents and teachers mingled while they admired the new collection and snapped pictures with the smiling artists. From colorful paintings to richly textured collages, the art show displayed all different kinds of work. Beyond the artwork, the show opening also provided a snapshot of a relationship that has touched countless lives and enlightened the Berkeley community.

photo 3

Viewers were able to bid on the pieces as part of a silent auction. The money raised at the auction will go to the center, helping the artists who created the works. In the past, the show has raised several thousand dollars and, according to Upper and Middle Division Visual Arts teacher Anna Arcuri, “It has become one of the most popular shows at Berkeley.”

The gallery opening was an important day for the artists and Berkeley students alike, and was an event to which they all looked forward with anticipation. Sandy Riggio, an art teacher from Willis Peters, said of her students and their art that “seeing it in the gallery setting sets it apart; they are so proud of it.” She continued to say that she thinks that the show has “taken a different flavor” and that she is excited “to be able to bring something new.”

Over the years, in addition to the art show, Berkeley and Willis Peters Exceptional Center have formed a close relationship. Almost every month, Berkeley seventh and eighth graders visit the school with their community service groups and spend time with the students, working with the teachers or helping students to create masterpieces in the art room. From eating Thanksgiving Dinner together, to cheering each other on in walkathons, Berkeley and Willis Peters students have forged a strong bond.

Middle Division Science teacher Susan McLaughlin has always appreciated her trips to the Center with her eighth graders and has enjoyed seeing how Berkeley students “will just change [and] open up” while volunteering and making new friends. Visiting the school has helped Berkeley students grow and, according to McLaughlin, “learn to [think] past themselves.”

Berkeley Upper Division students also have the opportunity to visit Willis Peters as members of Science Team which performs exciting and educational science demos. Sophomore Jack Eppink, a leader of the team, said that “the kids enjoy the show; [they] really get into it.” Eppink also enjoyed his recent visit to the school and said how “it’s been nice to serve the community […] and [get] these kids interested in science.”

photo 2

The various programs connecting Berkeley with the Willis Peters Exceptional Center have helped build friendships and, according to Riggio, “the relationships that are formed between our kids and the students from Berkeley last.” Whether framing artwork or visiting the Exceptional Center on community service days, Arcuri believes that “it’s inspiring to see our students work with them.”

The students’ collaboration and the numerous lives impacted make this school partnership especially rewarding and heartwarming. As McLaughlin said, at Willis Peters “everyone gets along there; it’s like a family.” Members of the Berkeley community have cherished their experiences in such a positive environment, and, with the art show, have valued the opportunity to welcome Willis Peters students into the Berkeley family for a day. One could even say that the smiles on the faces of Berkeley and Willis Peters students working together are works of art in themselves.