Faculty Teach in More Ways than One

At Berkeley, students view their teachers as mentors and sources of valuable information. Students often talk to teachers about homework questions or to clarify concepts from class. Though you may not know it, teachers are also great sources for fashion advice and inspiration.Berkeley’s fashion icons Mr. Lukacs, Mrs. Strain, and Señora Flaskay offer great fashion tips for any season.

One can easily pick our Mr. Lukacs in a crowd of students and teachers because of his unique bow ties and classic suspenders. Mr. Lukacs, the stylish man himself, states that  “[the students] recognize the classic style of the bow-tie. The bow-tie exudes a sartorial confidence and sophistication.” If a student is interested in starting a bow tie collection that is similar to Mr. Lukacs’s, then he could join the bow tie club that is online! To Mr. Lukacs, the best bow ties are the ones that have patterns and British regimental stripes. No solid colors. Also, you might be wondering, why doesn’t Mr. Lukacs ever wear a tie? Well, the answer is simple, “I do not like conforming to expectations, so I wear bow-ties.” Mr. Lukacs also offers some helpful advice on how to pull off suspenders, “A few years ago one of my students said that I was the grandpa of the senior class, so I wear the ‘grandpa sweater’ and suspenders. I have my unique style. I do not mind dressing my age.” From this, we can all surely conclude that Mr. Lukacs always stays true to himself through fashion and puts a smile on everyone’s face as he confidently walks through the halls.

The fashion queens of Berkeley, Math Teacher Mrs. Strain and Spanish Teacher Señora Flaskay, were delighted to spread their fashion knowledge to the student body. Mrs. Strain’s favorite store is Modcloth online. Girls can find vintage, retro, and indie-inspired clothing styles on this adorable and chic website. She especially loves to wear dresses because they impose a sense of professionalism and maturity. No wonder Mrs. Strain is always beaming with confidence and poise: “I feel confident when I dress well.” She also shares some helpful advice about letting your personality shine through in your choice of clothing. “Always wear clothes that are comfortable.  Try different styles until you figure out what you like best. Always, always, always be you and be true to your own personal style.”

Señora Flaskay’s favorite styles range from Ann Taylor and Department store Nieman Marcus, to local boutique Penelope and Forever 21. Her go-to fashion items are shoes and accessories. Señora says that she builds her entire outfit around the shoes she wants to wear for the day. She also states that her favorite pieces are “bright colored clothing and anything black! You can never have enough black!” When asked why she chooses to dress up this way, Señora smiled and said, “I have always liked dressing up all my life. I like to look good for myself. My mother was also a great example for me when it came to fashion.”

One thing that Mr. Lukacs, Senora Flaskay, and Mrs. Strain all have put an emphasis on is that fashion is all about being yourself. The clothes a person wears is one great way to tell the world who you are or who you want to be. So as strange as it may seem, take some fashion advice from the teachers and go have fun with it.