Speaker Chris Herren Inspires Berkeley Students

The slightest mention of a drug prevention assembly in a high school classroom will most likely have an outcome of moans and groans. However, on September 10th, 2013 Berkeley was honored to have a very special man come visit us during convo. He was Chris Herren who told a story that inspired many in the audience.

Herren grew up in Fall River, Massachusetts where he played for his local high school basketball team. Throughout his high school career he racked up 2,073 points and was the town’s hero. He later went on to play for Boston College, “A dream come true,” Herren said. Herren then went to play basketball at Fresno State. In 1999, he was picked by the Denver Nuggets in the NBA draft and then later traded to the Celtics in 2000. The town hero had finally made it big.

That day in convocation we heard about Chris Herren’s successes, but we also listened to the story of a drug addict. He used to think “I only drink and smoke on the weekends.” However, Herren now believes that the first drink of alcohol or even the first shot of heroin could lead to a lifetime of addiction. Before his first game at Boston College, his roommate and the roommate’s girlfriend, both on scholarships, were snorting cocaine in their dorm room. Herren, wanting to be accepted, snorted his first line of cocaine. This was the beginning of a long nightmare of drug abuse.

While playing in college, Herren failed four drug tests, and while playing in the NBA he became addicted to prescription pain medication. Later while playing overseas, heroin became his drug of choice. After his return to his hometown, he also becan using crystal meth. By 2011,  Herren had been charged with seven felonies. He put his family, his job and everything else in his life second to “shooting himself up.”

Herren had tough words for those who think that “red Solo cups” and a little marijuana on the weekends were no big deal. He warned that what might be perceived as harmless partying can lead down a path to more serious addiction.  Furthermore, Herren implored young people to be okay with who they are and not feel like they need to take substances to be someone different.