The student voice of Berkeley Preparatory School

The Fanfare

• September 22Today's Schedule is Day 6

A Journey Upside Down Into Stranger Things

Take a glimpse into Netflix’s latest sci-fi thriller.

Austin Cahn, Staff Writer

Lock your doors, hide your kids, and stay far, far away from blinking lights: strange occurrences are scattered throughout the town of Hawkins. However, all of these occurrences seem to trace back to one peculiar little girl and one missing boy. The new Netflix original, Stranger Things, was released at the beginning of this summer, and critics are raving about its elaborate characterization and exceptional actors.

WILL THEY FIND WILL? In the dead of the night, Will's best friends (from left) Lucas, Mike and Justin scavenge the forest for their missing friend, but are only able to locate his deserted bike; thus furthering the sense of hopelessness in this seemingly impossible mission.

WILL THEY FIND WILL? In the dead of the night, Will’s best friends (from left) Lucas, Mike and Justin scavenge the forest for their missing friend, but are only able to locate his deserted bike; thus furthering the sense of hopelessness in this seemingly impossible mission. Source: International Business Times

The show is set in the 1980s: kids can roam the streets freely, neon is in and enormous hairstyles are considered fashionable. Riding home after a night of Dungeons and Dragons with his friends, twelve-year-old Will Byers mysteriously vanishes without a trace. His panicked mother contacts the police chief, Jim Hopper, to start a search party, but the only trace of Will is a gritty, distorted phone call. Upset by the lack of progress, Will’s friends Dustin, Mike and Lucas start their own search party, only to find a mysterious girl in the rain wearing a hospital gown. After taking her back to Mike’s house to dry off, they discover her telekinetic powers and that she recognizes a photo of Will in Mike’s room. With this new clue, their search leads them to a top-secret government facility, where they witness the horrors unleashed on Earth.

SURPRISE IN THE ELEVATOR: At the beginning of the first episode, viewers are greeted with a mortified scientist bolting through a dim, metallic corridor throughout an unnamed facility. Unfortunately his attempts to escape were quickly rendered futile, as a surprise was awaiting his arrival in the elevator.

SURPRISE IN THE ELEVATOR: At the beginning of the first episode, viewers are greeted with a mortified scientist bolting through a dim, metallic corridor throughout an unnamed facility. Unfortunately his attempts to escape were quickly rendered futile, as a surprise was awaiting his arrival in the elevator. Source: tunefind

While watching this series, I couldn’t get enough of the brilliant writing and colorful characters. The series captures the feel of 1980s favorites like ET, Terminator and Back to the Future, adding in today’s high definition and CGI technology.

CONTROL THE LIGHTS: Although this woman may initially seem like just another crazy cat lady testing a newly hatched conspiracy theory, this image actually depicts the desperate mother of Will Byers attempting to communicate with her son by having him control individual Christmas lights from wherever he's located. Source: Trent Walton

CONTROL THE LIGHTS: Although this woman may initially seem like just another crazy cat lady testing a newly hatched conspiracy theory, this image actually depicts the desperate mother of Will Byers attempting to communicate with her son by having him control individual Christmas lights from wherever he’s located. Source: Trent Walton

To call the relationship between Will and his family moving would be an understatement – especially between Will and his brother during their parents’ divorce. Winona Ryder’s portrayal of Will’s bewildered mother is beautiful, and the children’s acting capabilities are outstanding. In the end, I’d recommend this short yet powerful Netflix original to anyone with a few hours on their hands and a taste for the past.