Surviving the College Process, and Maybe Even Thriving

Each of the four years of high school comes with its own preconceived expectations and stereotypes. Freshman year is a year of growth and adjustment, junior year the most academically challenging and of course senior year is all about the college application process. It’s exciting, daunting, at times heart breaking and hopefully ultimately rewarding.

Especially in a college preparatory school atmosphere such as Berkeley’s, the idea of applying to college is one that has been woven into students’ academic identities. There can be high expectations and often our futures seem to be hanging in the balance. Looking back through the ups and downs of the last year, I have certainly come away with some advice that may be helpful for those approaching the process.

Starting out with the college search, I began on a hunt to find my dream school. I had heard stories of students stepping onto a campus and hearing wedding bells. I felt like I had always been surrounded by classmates who have had their hearts set on a prestigious Ivy League school since the sixth grade and friends who have grown up aspiring to follow in their parents’ footsteps at a particular institution. I thought that the “one” was what I was searching for. But, tour after tour and one information session after another I found myself with schools that I liked, and even sometimes really liked, but nothing that I loved. It is really important to remember that while some people may find their perfect match in a university, others might find more than one, and some people might never settle on a perfect fit.  If you find yourself in this situation, compiling a strong list that covers a wide range of the schools you could see yourself attending will ultimately help point you in the right direction.

It is important to accept and respect the fact that every person’s college process will be different. It is common throughout senior year to hear students have conversations in the hallways about what application they just finished, alumni interviews that they have coming up and even posting on social media about recent acceptances. While some people may want to share everything, others may want to keep it more private. Some people may know where they are attending in December; others may not know where they are going until May 1st or later. There will be people who apply to three schools and people who apply to thirteen, people who get acceptances, rejections, scholarships and waitlists.  Although each student is going through the same process, not every person will experience it the same way: try to appreciate and support your classmates no matter what happens.

The summer before senior year I enjoyed relishing in the accomplishment of surviving my junior year, and also looking forward to all of the great traditions, privileges and freedoms of being a senior. However, getting a head start on college applications during the summer makes the first semester of senior year that much more enjoyable. Towards the beginning of August, I was able to sit down and begin tackling the Common Application. Being able to have a rough draft of my main essay and résumé allowed me to go more confidently into the rest of the application process. Being aware of deadlines and proactive about work will be one of the easiest ways to manage some of the stress. While it feels like so much of the college process is out of your hands, it is important to stay focused on the details that are in your control.

As my dad has constantly reminded me over the last twelve months, college admissions is not a race to be won, but a match to be made.  Although as teenagers we often disregard our parent’s cliché words of wisdom, I truly believe we all should have confidence that life will always play out the way it should. So go forward and embrace the next chapter of your life.