The Men and Women Behind the Scenes

Assistant Custodial Supervisor Teddy Oliva enjoys his time spent on Berkeley’s campus

In the hustle and bustle of getting to class we often forget about the “men and women behind the scenes.” Although overlooked, the custodians also brave busy days at Berkeley. Just like the average Berkeley student, a custodian spends over eight hours on campus each day. They work Monday through Friday from 3:00 p.m. until midnight. Every day they go from class to class and maintain the appearance and grounds of our campus. Despite popular belief, a school custodian plays many roles. Custodians are caretakers. They ensure that Berkeley remains safe and sanitary for all. In addition, the custodians repair anything that is broken or damaged. Custodians also assist in the setup of events and facilities. Clearly, custodians play a very important behind-the-scenes role in our daily school lives. Assistant Custodial Supervisor Teddy Oliva, who has worked at Berkeley for fifteen years, explained his daily routine:

Arrive at Berkeley                                                                                           3:00

Attend daily staff announcements (similar to our own convo)                        3:05

Clean the break room in the custodial building                                              3:20

Clean in the Steinbrenner Center                                                                   3:40

Break time                                                                                                       5:30-5:45

Clean the remainder of the Steinbrenner Center                                            5:45

Mop lower division classrooms                                                                       6:00

Dinner break                                                                                                   8:00-8:30

Mop in the lower division activity center, teachers’ lounge, and art rooms    8:30-10:00

Break time                                                                                                      10:00-10:15

Return to custodial building to clean and mop the break room                      10:30

Return to main campus to clean remainder of campus                                   10:45

Depart campus                                                                                                midnight

Just like many Berkeley students, the custodians spend their free time socializing and catching up with their friends. In fact, the custodians even have gatherings similar to our advisory. One day out of every week, one of the custodians brings a dessert to share with his or her coworkers.

When asked to describe the Berkeley community, Oliva said “We are all one big family.” As well as many other members of the Berkeley community, he views Berkeley as his second home. Kenny Gonzalez, a custodian who has worked at Berkeley for twelve years, added that seeing smiling faces at Berkeley brightens his day. Custodian Janet Velazquez, who has worked at Berkeley for over eight years, believes that being around members of the Berkeley community “is something beautiful.”

To say the least, the custodians are the unsung heroes of Berkeley. Whenever we need them they are just a call away. Custodians are not only called upon for labor intensive jobs, but also for problem solving. Every member of Berkeley’s large family plays an important role. The custodians are more than just janitors; they are members of Berkeley’s extended family.