The student voice of Berkeley Preparatory School

The Fanfare

The Fanfare

The Fanfare

Vinny Sharma ’24 Presents the Class of 2024s Senior Gift

Vinny Sharma ’24 reflects on Berkeley’s motto of making a positive difference when presenting the Class of 2024s Class Gift

In his Class Gift Speech for the 2024 Commencement Ceremony, Vinny Sharma reflected on Berkeley’s motto “Berkeley puts people in the world who make a positive difference” to present the senior class’ gift of $154,868.64 to contribute to the education of future Berkeley students. 

In his time at Berkeley, Sharma participated in a number of clubs and activities not limited to his position as Vice President of the Student forum, co-President of the Masala Mix, co- Vice President of Math Club, co- Founder and President of Computer Science Club and a member of the Honor Council.  

In particular, Sharma’s time working with the Berkeley Academy shaped his speech outlining the charitable spirit of Berkeley along with its students, teachers and faculty. As Sharma says, “My time working with the Berkeley Academy helped me introspect and recognize how Berkeley indeed puts people in the world who make a positive difference. Thinking about how Berkeley has a separate organization—the Berkeley Academy—where students can easily volunteer goes to show how ready Berkeley is to put its students into a position of helping others around them.”

GRADUATING GIFT: Class Gift speaker Vinny Sharma ’24 presents the Class of 2024’s gift of $154,868.64 (Photo Credits: Riley Zophin ’25)

The Berkeley Academy, a program within Berkeley taking place throughout the school year and summer, allows students to mentor, tutor and teach less fortunate and highly motivated students in preparation for their future college careers and beyond. The program, which many Berkeley students and faculty participate in, is one that is very successful and helps teach others a variety of skills from science, sports, subjects such as debate and much more. This program, one in which much of the Berkeley community is dedicated to, reflects Berkeley’s efforts to create a positive difference in the world. After all, as Sharma says, “Working with the [Berkeley Academy] and seeing the tangible impacts I could make with Berkeley’s guidance strongly shaped my perspective for my speech.”

The Class of 2024s Senior Gift is one that reflects the Berkeley community’s devotion to make a positive difference not only within the community but within the larger community of Tampa and even the world. As Sharma says,  “At Berkeley, serving your community with your peers around you to make a positive difference invokes a sense of gratitude and fulfillment whose value cannot be understated. Berkeley makes sure we, as students, experience that feeling and strive to help others experience it too.” With their hefty gift, the graduating class is sure to fulfill their duty as Berkeley students of making a positive difference in the world. 

You can read the full interview here

You can read the full speech here