The student voice of Berkeley Preparatory School

The Fanfare

The Fanfare

The Fanfare

Meet Mr. Hoffman!

Mr. Hoffman describes his fresh start at Berkeley

“I’ve always liked Latin a lot,” said Peter Hoffman. The new Upper Division Latin teacher has been interested in Latin and Roman history since he was in high school. Hoffman stated that the influence of Roman culture on modern society motivated him to pursue a career in the Classics. 

He was first drawn to Berkeley for its campus and educational philosophy. After a meeting with the World  Languages department, he fell in love with the school. “I got very lucky to come down here for an interview and I loved being on campus,” said Hoffman. 

TURNING OVER A NEW LEAF: Peter Hoffman discusses his experience as a new Latin teacher at Berkeley.

When he’s not teaching, Hoffman enjoys staying active by running, playing golf and playing pickleball. Traveling is another one of his favorite hobbies—Rome being his favorite destination. Hoffman also mentioned that acting has been one of his passions since he was in college.

Hoffman draws inspiration from his high school Latin teacher and the indelible mark she left on him, motivating him to become a similar role model for his own class. He hopes his students leave his lessons with a better understanding of the Latin language and culture in addition to appreciating the influence of ancient Rome around them. He encourages them to follow his favorite Latin phrase “Carpe Diem” and seize the day.