Students Share Super Bowl Predictions

Denver Broncos Quarterback Peyton Manning

CBS Sports

As the month of February nears, this can only mean one thing for sports fans worldwide: Super Bowl XLVIII is close. After an exciting Conference Championship week, the matchup is set. This year will feature the Denver Broncos led by the “Sheriff” himself, Peyton Manning, and the Seattle Seahawks led by third year quarterback Russell Wilson. Featuring the number one ranked defense versus the number one ranked offense, this matchup may not have been a surprise to many NFL fans, but it will be an exciting one.

This year, the Denver Broncos have been phenomenal, arguably the best offensive team of all time. Peyton Manning has broken a plethora of NFL records including passing touchdowns in a year, passing yards and total points among others. This Seattle defense has been phenomenal as well, recording the most interceptions in the NFL and allowing the fewest points per game. With a dominant performance, this Seahawks defense could cement a season comparable to the greatness of the ‘85 Bears.

In this game, Peyton Manning is seeking his second Super Bowl title. In his hall-of-fame career, Manning’s only downside is his 9-11 playoff record. If Manning wins this game, it will (hopefully) put a rest to all of the playoff criticism for “choking” in big moments. On the other hand, the Seahawks are chasing their first title as a franchise, and it would be a nice start to both quarterback Russell Wilson’s and cornerback Richard Sherman’s young careers. In other words, both teams want this win badly.

Personally, I believe that the Broncos will win a tight one. While Manning will not be his dominant self, he will lead a game winning fourth quarter drive and beat the Seahawks 27-23. Additionally, I gained some insight on Berkeley students’ thoughts concerning the big game this Sunday.

Student Predictions:

Sophomore Amol Dhaliwal – “I believe the Legion of Boom will be picked apart by Peyton Manning, and Russell Wilson will continue his postseason slump into the Super Bowl. Denver wins 24-14.”

Sophomore Lance Esposito – “The Broncos will take an early lead, and Seattle won’t be able to come back. I’ve got the Broncos winning 31-24.”

Junior Andreas Pavlakos – “I think the Broncos will get an early lead with their offensive weapons, but I think the Seahawks will come back defensively and maintain their lead with big plays from Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson. I’ve got the Seahawks 24-17.”

Junior Ben Root – “I think the Broncos have a more consistent team, and that the Seahawks can only function offensively with their big plays… If Marshawn Lynch can live up to his beast mode name sake and the Seahawks defense scores a touchdown, I think they can upset 24-21.”

Junior Brad Mayes – “Peyton Manning will look for Demariyus Thomas early and Thomas and Richard Sherman will get into it over the course of the game. Seattle will be leading at half time 14-10, but the Broncos will come back to win 34-24 with Knowshon Moreno winning Superbowl MVP. If Seattle wins, Russell Wilson will win MVP, and Percy Harvin will score a touchdown.”

Senior Clint Eiland – “I think that it’ll be a low scoring affair. The Seahawks defensive line will get good pressure on Manning, as will the Broncos on Wilson/Lynch. In the end, I’m thinking a 23-20 Broncos victory on the back of an overachieving defense and a patented Peyton performance.”

Senior Reuben Siegman – “I think that the Seahawks defense will do just enough to stop Peyton Manning, and the return of Percy Harvin will be the X factor. However, if Terrance Knighton and the rest of the Broncos defensive line can stop Lynch, it could be a surprisingly low game. I’m going 21-17 Seahawks.”