Theatre of the Night Rocks Out

When Kathi Grau first began working in Upper Division, the theatre department was undergoing a major transition towards a more formal drama program. With these new adjustments taking place, Grau hoped to, “give the students a creative outlet” through which to prepare for future auditions and experiment with new creative material. The result of Grau’s efforts was Theatre of the Night, and years later it remains a favorite event among faculty and students alike.

The Theatre of the Night occurs biannually in Spring and Winter and is hosted and run by the Advanced Drama class. However, participation is not just limited to Advanced Drama students—over the years, Theatre of the Night has provided an opportunity for students to show their creative side whether they are enrolled in Advanced Drama or have never stepped on the stage. However, Performance I and Performance II students are required to participate in the event.

The Theatre of the Night is not just an event that allows students to showcase their love of the performing arts, but it is also a fundraiser. Originally all proceeds went to a different charity, but now the proceeds now go to the Students’ Scholarship Fund. In addition to fundraising, Theatre of the Night also creates a sense of community spirit. Theatre of the Night also provides younger students with an opportunity to see more experienced performers, while observing the theatrical growth they strive for.

Another great quality of Theatre of the Night is its experimental and thought provoking nature. Grau described it as, “Not just an evening of tap dancing, it’s a real plethora of different styles and different attitudes.” She hopes that the performances on Theater of the Night will inspire the audience to take a greater interest in drama and the performing arts in general. She has many favorite performances through the years, and they all have one big thing in common. They feature students who go above and beyond to promote their art . “To me, it’s about having a space and a good story, and that’s about all you need. When you commit to it, just a lot of magical things happen.”

The Theatre of the Night gives creative Berkeley student the outlet to express that passion.