Math Club Competes in National Competition

This summer, Berkeley flew a team of thirty-eight students and three teachers across the country to San Diego, California to compete in a mathematics competition on a national scale. Berkeley students were tested for five days and earned the school the ranking of 10th in the nation.

Each year, the Mu Alpha Theta National Mathematics Honor Society hosts one of the largest math competitions in the United States. Students from across the country compete in a variety of mathematical topics that range from Geometry to Calculus, as well as a handful of other activities that include making a scrapbook, decrypting codes and decorating a poster.

The convention lasts five days and involves over fifty-five different events. Approximately 600 students representing over forty schools competed. Berkeley’s team competed against the top math students in the United States, earning a number of individual trophies. The Pre-Calculus team placed 9th in the team round, and both the Calculus team and the combined Algebra II and Geometry team placed 11th on their team rounds. UD Math Teacher and Math Club Sponsor Dr. Thom Morris said “Everyone worked hard and we did a fantastic job. I am proud of every one of them.”

After the convention, the Berkeley team goes on the “Aftermath,” a two to three day trip where students take a break, relax and have fun while visiting popular sites in the area. This year the Aftermath featured activities such as visiting the San Diego Zoo, going to Sea World, relaxing on the beach and biking through La Jolla. The Aftermath provides members of Berkeley’s Math Club a unique opportunity to strengthen the bonds that exist between them and participate in fun activities that they would not normally be able to do.

It is not all about the math for the Berkeley team. Sophomore Ankit Aggarwal said that his favorite part of the trip was “meeting new people” and Junior Catherine Bai added that her favorite moment was “the hugging during the awards ceremony.” The Berkeley Math Club is a unique place. UD Math Teacher and Math Club Sponsor Dr. Thom Morris said that every member the Berkeley team really “cares for each other” and everyone exemplifies the Math Club motto of “one heartbeat.” During the year, members in higher level mathematics courses will devote their time to teach younger students during early morning practices twice a week, and additional help is always available.

While Berkeley’s Math Club is finished competing this year, preparations are already being made for 2014. Morning math practices start in the fall, and the club is currently planning for the next Nationals. Morris said that “next year, Berkeley’s team will be heading to Orlando, Florida, for Nationals, and in 2015 the convention will most likely be held in Hawaii.”