Top 13 Things Every Berkeley Student Needs in His or Her Wardrobe

Every August, the start of a new school year is a great opportunity for students to flaunt their fashion sense and show off their new outfits.  For new freshmen and returning upperclassmen alike, the summer was a chance to update their school-appropriate clothes and accessories.  Here’s a guide to what every Berkeley student should have in his or her wardrobe.

1. Polo shirt

A basic wardrobe staple, the classic polo shirt is a classy essential for both guys and girls.  It’s the perfect combination of preppy and dress code appropriate.  Plus, the short sleeves make the polo shirt a must in Florida’s scorching summer weather.

1. Water bottle

A water bottle is an essential accessory for the Berkeley student.  It’s especially important to stay hydrated during the day, and what better way to do so than with your own water bottle?  Bonus points if it is monogrammed.  “I don’t leave home without mine!” says Grace Searle, Class of 2016.

1. Lanyard

For Berkeley students who can drive, a lanyard is a very functional  way to show off one’s individual style.  Whether the pattern is the Vineyard Vines whale or a college logo, a lanyard makes fishing keys out of a full backpack that much easier.

1. Preppy flip-flops

A summer staple for Berkeley girls and Floridians alike, preppy flip-flops remain a popular footwear choice because of their comfort and, more importantly, style. Regan Dabbs, Class of 2016, says they “really pull an outfit together!” From Jack Rogers to Tory Burch, these classy flip-flops can be seen all over campus during the warm weather.

1. North Face jacket

For those bitterly cold days that throw Berkeley into a frenzy, students will dig their North Face jackets out from the rarely ventured depths of their closets. A North Face jacket, whether it be pullover style or zip-up, helps keep Berkeley students warm and toasty on their way to class.

1. Spirit shop gear

No Berkeley student is fully equipped without a few items from the spirit shop. Berkeley t-shirts, pullovers, sweatshirts and athletic shorts are the perfect way to show support for the Buccaneers when cheering from the stands with the Berkeley Armada.

1. Knee length bottoms

Whether it is a cute skirt or preppy pastel shorts, knee-length bottoms are an essential part of the Berkeley uniform. You really know that you’re a Berkeley student when half of your closet consists of knee-length skirts or shorts.

1. Nike shoes

With the recent addition of the Gries Center, students are now walking much more than ever before. Accordingly, comfortable shoes are essential for the Berkeley student on the go. A good pair of Nike running shoes are a wardrobe staple for trekking down the many new hallways without getting blisters.

1. Sperry shoes

For guys, Sperrys are an essential part of the daily uniform. Comfy and casual, Sperrys can tie an outfit together and add some preppiness. With their nautical vibe, Sperrys can seamlessly transition from weekend to weekday.

1. Button down

During the few cooler months in Florida, button down shirts are a vital part of a Berkeley wardrobe. While shopping, Berkeley students can be spotted checking out any shirt with a collar on it.

1. Ray Bans glasses

Walking to and from classes during the day in the bright Florida sunshine can take a toll on your eyes, so sunglasses are an essential in order to protect your vision. A classic pair of Ray Bans is both preppy and functional in the Sunshine State.

1. Vineyard vines quarter zip

For those chilly classrooms in the Gries Center or Steinbrenner, a quarter zip is essential to keep warm and focused in class. A quarter zip can be pulled on and off easily, helping Berkeley students adapt quickly to the abrupt change from frigid classrooms to sweltering hallways.

1. Accessories

Finally, some glam accessories can really make a dress-code appropriate outfit unique. Statement necklaces, watches, scarves and bracelets can really individualize an ensemble. A glitzy necklace can help dress up a collared shirt while a nice watch can help students get to class on time.