Study Abroad in Florence!

Berkeley art students pose for a photo in St. Peters Square.

Rachel Slakter

Berkeley art students pose for a photo in St. Peter’s Square.

Last June, a group of 30 Berkeley Upper Division students spent four weeks of their summer in the beautiful Italian city of Florence. Through intensive classes on art and photography, weekly excursions to cities like Venice and Rome, and spending time with both old and new friends, these students were able to immerse themselves into one of the oldest and most vibrant cultures of the world.

The main goal of this annual trip is for students to improve their artistic skills in drawing, painting, and photography, and, at the same, time be exposed to a different culture half way around the globe. According to Upper Division history teacher Courtney Beitler, who was one of the five chaperones on the trip, daily classes were not the “typical, sit-in-the-classroom-chair” type of classes. Students would arrange to meet their teachers somewhere in the city, like at a “museum, particular sculpture in town, or church.” With classes in such a format, students often felt like they were not completing a school course.

Not only were these students attending classes in a country inspired by art and design (Italy is, home to legendary artists such as Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci) but they were also taught and mentored by some of the brightest and most experienced college professors in the country. “At times,” says Junior Nathan Bekesh, “classes could be busy and stressful,” since their work was carefully assessed and graded by their teachers. With four hours of drawing and three hours of photography each day, students were definitely able to challenge themselves and advance in their artistic endeavors.

Although most days the students’ schedules were full of classes, and sometimes even stress, weekends were a time when they would enjoy being tourists and go out and explore what Italy had to offer. Junior Ann Johnson, who also went on the trip, said that it “did have a lot of art, but despite the students’ hard work in classes “it was mostly fun.” The trip started in Rome, and throughout the four weeks, students got the chance to visit the Tuscan towns of Siena and San Gimignano; Cinque Terre, a set of five beach towns on the west coast; and last but not least, Venice, the city of love and gondolas (traditional rowing boats). Bekesh said his most memorable part of the trip was their “beach day,” in Cinque Terre because “we all had really grown close to one another, and it was really nice just to relax.” Students also visited the Vatican, where, according to Johnson, they “all saw the Pope, and he came really close to us in his car” even though they were not expecting to meet him.

Before going, many students were somewhat concerned about Internet access in Italy, but Bekesh noted that “all of the apartments had Wi-Fi,” and Johnson added that “the main squares all had Wi-Fi for our phones, too.” So, students didn’t need to worry about their Twitters and Instagrams in order to keep in touch with friends and post photos during their stay. Even so, Beitler still recalled a coffee shop with a sign that read “No Wi-Fi—Talk to Each Other.”

Just one month in a different country like Italy can open students’ eyes and help them learn about the diverse cultures and traditions that are out there in this world. Exploring the country with friends from back home, and even new ones along the way, can help transform students’ summer vacations from a boring, lazy break into, as Bekesh put, “one of the best experiences of your life.”