“Girl Rising”

The Tale of Nine Girls on their Way to Education

Educating girls can change the world. The documentary “Girl Rising” focuses on this theme while telling the stories of nine girls living in different parts of the world including Afghanistan, Cambodia, Peru, and Haiti. Equally heartbreaking and inspiring, the film shows the obstacles these girls had to overcome in order to obtain an education.

Despite natural disaster, poverty or a lack of rights, many of the girls in the film fight to attend school and use their education to empower other girls. The documentary also follows the lives of girls who are forced into marriages or forced to work at a young age and therefore are unable to go to school. Incorporating startling statistics, “Girl Rising” conveys the consequences for the economy and society that result from depriving girls of an education.

On November 27th, members of the Berkeley and Tampa Bay community were given the opportunity to attend a special “Girl Rising” screening organized by Junior Brie Nicker who collaborated with the Diversity Club and the Berkeley Global Scholars Program.

The screening was sold out and raised over 3,000 dollars. According to Nicker, the money raised will benefit the Ten Times Ten fund that made the movie and “helps the girls who are in the film, and girls who have stories like them [by] putting them in school.”

GirlRising - imdb

Berkeley students and faculty in attendance were impacted by “Girl Rising” and were encouraged to learn more about what took place in the documentary. Sophomore Madeline Katsarelis said that the film was “really interesting and inspirational” and liked “how it portrayed women as having power and importance in the world.” The Diversity Club Faculty sponsor, Christine Ortega, said that by watching the film she learned “that there is so much more about the world that we need to know as Americans and as privileged people.” Ortega was most impacted by the story of Mariama from Sierra Leone who lived a normal teenage life and helped girls by having her own radio talk show. Ortega also appreciated the story of Suma from Nepal who got an education which enabled her to help “women empower one another to end a type of slavery that was quite devastating.”

“Girl Rising” successfully showcases how, despite terrible odds, young girls all across the world remain hopeful and persevere in fighting for an education. With a little help, these students can rise up and change their societies and make the world a better place. Nicker hopes that Berkeley students become more involved with this issue and realize that “with the power of education you can do a lot more. You can do anything.”

Those interested in “Girl Rising” can learn more about it or join the movement at www.girlrising.com.