Winter Break Brings Exciting Excursions

Though sleeping late and watching TV was one popular option this winter break, some students had the opportunity to venture away from home to explore new and interesting locales.

People often go to Orlando for attractions such as Disney World and Universal Studios. But this winter break, Orlando was the site of a NFTY—North American Federation of Temple Youth—convention. Junior Rachel Weinbren had the opportunity to attend this conference with her youth group.  Along with the chance to listen to speakers and participate in discussions, Weinbren had the opportunity to meet many new people, building new friendships and nurturing old ones. Weinbren is one of hundreds of students to attend this convention. “The fact that we’re Jewish brings us together,” Weinbren commented. “It’s an open environment where you feel really comfortable being yourself and […] speaking your true opinions and thoughts. I [had the chance to] learn about world issues, discuss them with different people and hear a wide range of ideas and beliefs on different things.”

Sophomore Ankush Bikkasani had the chance to travel internationally with his family on a two-week trip to India. Bikkasani says that most of his parents’ family resides in India, in the cities of Bangalore and Hyderabad. They stayed in his relatives’ homes for the majority of the trip. At the time of his visit, India’s weather was similar to a Floridian summer. Though he spent some time catching up with his family, he also visited the Andaman Islands off the coast of India to go scuba diving for the first time. “There is definitely a difference between actually doing it and seeing a video of what’s down there. There were a lot of fish as well as sea urchins and sea anemone.” Bikkasani even had the rare chance to touch a sea anemone while scuba diving. “It makes me proud to be the nationality that I am because [when I go to India] I get to see what it would have been like if I had grown up [there].” Bikkasani traveled far this winter vacation, and his experiences left him with new, exciting memories and a newfound appreciation for Indian culture.

Winter Break Profs 1 - Ankush Bikkasani

Rachel Roth, a senior, swapped the usual Florida heat for the chilly mountain air during her eight-day vacation to Park City, Utah. A mere five hours of flying transported Roth into an entirely different season—the weather in Park City was a low of 16 degrees and a high of roughly 24 degrees. During her trip, Roth spent time with her family and friends at their home in Park City and also tried her hand at some extreme sports: “[Snowboarding] was super fun. It’s the hardest thing I think I’ve ever learned,” she added. Roth’s vacation, filled with exciting sports and good times with friends and family, is sure to be one full of cherished memories.

The winter break experiences of these three Berkeley travelers, and really all Berkeley students, could not be more different. They all bring new, interesting experiences and memories that will surely last a lifetime.